Sunday, January 13, 2013

Spring and Lars REUNITED!!!

After having lived so comfortably in the Shurilla household, I was pretty nervous to be on our own again...Well, that and living in yet another country. I'd done my homework but I think it only heightened my anxiety:(

Some highlights from my research are:

     - Scots drink a lot.
     - They drink a WHOLE LOT!
     - Oh, and they swear a ton too.
     - Consider yourself lucky if you EVER see the sun.
     - Rain RAIN and more RAIN!!! (They literally have 20 different names for "rain":(
     - No "real" native cuisine but known for eating Neeps and Tatties, Fish and Chips,              Haggis and (mostly joking) "Deep fried Mars bars".
     - It's expensive! (The exchange rate is £1 to $1.60)
     - They speak English but you won't understand them.
     - They drive on the opposite side of the road and have interesting road signs and road        markings.
     - Of course, all men wear kilts and play bagpipes:)
     - Scots can become very abrasive if you 1) Root for the wrong sports team 2) those          sports teams correlate to different religions 3) or if you confuse them for English.

But hey, the people are supposed to be SUPER nice...generally:)

(Okay, so I've listed them in a stereotypical manner but there is a lot of truth to them...)

So, yes, I had very mixed emotions when I was at the O'Hare Chicago, IL airport. This picture captures those emotions quite nicely.



My Mother-in-law said it best when she described it as a look of "anticipation, sadness and trepidation".

Well, I also knew that Lars had been living the perfect "bachelor" life. Eating whatever he wants. Going to clubs every night, with names such as "NiceNSleazy". He said it's for the open mic nights. Sure, yeah, okay:P So, he's playing/composing his new Chiptunes music. Then, finding time to stay in shape with basketball. Oh, and he'd also hang out with the Chinese speaking missionaries. I guess he'd study a bit amongst all that...maybe...

Was he ready to return to married life??? I hadn't seen him for a month and a half. (Longest time we'd been apart since being married 5 years.) I felt pretty alone and confused as to what MY role would be...

Oh, then the stress of my luggage being 10 lbs. overweight. (I could've kissed the attendant who let it through, no charge:) Plus, I had a carryon, purse, coat (with large pockets) and my big boots on. Everything almost bursting the seams. Security had to check my carryon for explosives multiple times because it was so dense. The scanners couldn't distinguish anything!

It is a 7 1/2 hour flight from Chicago to Dublin, Ireland. Which went rather smoothly. Had a nice conversation with Yarik about what to expect in Scotland. Pretty much the pubs are where you go to socialize:( and they get offended if you don't drink:( Thanks. Then an hour flight from Dublin to Glasgow, Scotland, which I don't remember because I was totally out for the entirety. Glasgow is 6 hours ahead of Wisconsin and I was pooped!

After I collected my checked luggage, heavy, I got to walk through the doors to my anxiously waiting love LARS!!! Didn't get any pictures but it was a joyous reunion:) That lasted a few minutes...(I don't know if anyone else is like this but I need some time to feel comfortable around even my husband again if we've been parted too long...? So it was a bit awkward for me but good:)

I also got to meet Jim Loftus who is AMAZING!!! He allowed Lars to stay with him for a few weeks while Lars was trying to find an apartment. Among so many things Jim brought Lars to come pick me up. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Back to my many mixed emotions. I was expecting dark and dreary rain clouds and downpour but no, I was blessed with glorious sunshine. Which they told me appeared just before I arrived:) This helped immensely with my "trepidation". What a blessing! Now the adventure truly begins...


No comments:

Post a Comment