Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Rain. Wet. Frost. Ice.

Honestly, for the first three weeks I hardly left the apartment/flat. (The freezing flat mind you:P) I didn't really have anywhere to go except FHE and Church. Not that I wasn't busy with what I was doing inside the flat. Organizing and acclimating and bumming:)

In those three weeks I heard plenty of the dreaded RAIN outside the windows. I heard it but when I'd finally go outside...no rain. Really? Every time I'd eventually go outdoors it was never actively raining...Now the ground was ALWAYS wet but not in the process of becoming so...

See. The ground is wet even though it's a beautiful day..?

Wet and soggy leaves
This confused me greatly. All this talk about how much it rains and I hadn't seen it or even had to walk in it. I felt kind of "gypped"!

If you talked to Lars he would say that I'm extremely blessed! He has had to walk to and from school practically everyday in the rain. All types of rain:( Mist, drizzle, torrents, pouring, dew, sheets, sprinkle, and so many other names for this wetness. Very similar to how the Eskimos have 40 different names for snow. The Scottish have 40 different names for rain.

Since then I have had to walk lots in the much anticipated rain too. (Thank goodness! I was kind of worried:) AND on some ice...which is really dangerous here.

I'm learning that they don't get a lot of, or any, snow and therefore do not have the means of removing said snow. So, this snow becomes ice and so dangerous that this pregnant lady decided it was "safer" to walk on the road and risk getting hit by a car. And it was...safer that is:)

Ice, ice, ice.
Cool frost design on this car:)
















And more ice...







So, because the ground is always wet, when the temp gets low enough there is automatic ice:( 

But it really is beautiful in the daytime...and it rarely gets cold enough for ice or snow here.




Pretty, pretty, pretty:)


 A very brisk walk to church that day:)

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about ice and being pregnant. Our parking lot looks like it's covered in glaciers, and to make it even better there was freezing rain today. I had to ice skate to the car with Emme and Charlie. Then I fell on my butt trying to chip the ice off my windshield. Fun, fun! By the way, you take amazing pictures. What a beautiful place to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Katie! This whole pregnancy thing is not as easy as I thought:( Well, at least this last month+ :P

      Delete