Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Non-traditional Thanksgiving!!!

I've mentioned previously that Lars has gotten quite close to the Chinese speaking missionaries in our Glasgow Ward. It was quite the surprise when we realized how large the Chinese population is here in Glasgow, Scotland!

Things only got better when we were both called to be Ward Missionaries specifically for the Chinese members:) The Chinese are SO ready for the gospel it's amazing! There's been at least 6 Chinese baptisms since Lars arrived back in September (2012).

Lars is definitely on the Chinese missionaries speed dial if they ever need someone to accompany them to a lesson.

So, Thanksgiving, an American holiday, was coming up and we weren't sure exactly what we were gonna do. The Scottish don't celebrate this holiday:) and we've never had to do Thanksgiving by ourselves. (We have always been blessed to be with extended family or with a group of other American, young married/single adults.) So when we found out the Chinese speaking missionaries, from America, were also "left out in the rain" we decided to do something together.

Being the only woman, I was concerned that the task of cooking a Thanksgiving meal was gonna be left to me (a bit sexist, I know, as well as daunting!) But I was pleasantly surprised when the missionaries suggested we get "Kebabs".

Now you will see tons of little Kebab shops everywhere...



...and I had been hearing about these infamous kebabs since I first met Elder Moser and Elder Bayer. I guess these kebabs have left quite a wake of salivating Elders. They are known as "The Best Kebabs in the Mission"! Once you try one you will have been "Kebaptized":) Haha!

I wasn't sure what to expect but I knew it was gonna be good:)

Ta-DAH!!!

THIS is a Kebab:)

,,,Maybe you're thinking what I was thinking when I got my first glimpse of this concoction...
What is it? Haha:)

Well, it is (I think:) Lamb, beef, chicken, doner <- will talk more about this later. A kebab also contains cabbage, onions, special sauce and naan is included...What do you think?

Before you decide, let me tell you more about this controversial doner "meat". This is where I got my information...after eating it, of course:P http://www.desiblitz.com/content/doner-kebabs-whats-really-in-them. Short, interesting article; good read.

Yikes! Next time hold the doner:( But despite this questionable meat it tasted pretty good. I'm actually craving it right now...yum. Lars may even be craving the doner...(yuck:P)

We really enjoyed our little Non-traditional Thanksgiving with the Elders and can now say that we've been kebaptized :D Check that off my bucket list:P

Spring, Lars, Elder Moser, & Elder Bayer

Also, wanted to thank Bishop and Sister Green who were so kind to invite us to their family Thanksgiving Dinner. It really was a pleasure to share that with you. (Especially since it was only a couple days before you had your twins!!!) Thanks also for the games played:) Molly is such a doll!


3 comments:

  1. So, the doner meat is basically like gyro meat?? If so, that's good stuff. Put it in a pita with a little tzatziki sauce, delicious. I'd much rather have this than thanksgiving turkey and mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you just rather have Routi and Poutine?

      Delete
    2. Curry and Roti?! Heck yes! Poutine?? I think I'll pass.

      Delete