Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Chinese Christmas Miracle



Wow, Christmas has come and gone. I was actually surprised to see so many Christmas decorations…but that’s where the surprises stopped.  Other than those decorations the holiday was completely hollow. Don’t get me wrong we attended many activities that claimed to be Christmas celebrations, but they just didn’t deliver that feeling…that “reason for the season” sentiment.

I went in search of such holiday cheer when I attended a gig LCD was playing Christmas music at: a pretty “hoity-toity” venue should know how to convey the Christmas spirit, right? Wrong. Some of the worst “Christmas” trees I have ever seen! Maybe they were “trying” to go the Charlie Brown Christmas tree route which I could have easily forgiven but then throw in six scantily clad Chinese teenage girls jumping all over one guy dressed as “Santa” all while playing “Santa Claus is coming to town”…I just wasn’t “feeling” it.

The closer Christmas Day came the more concerned I grew! Where were the extra love, happiness and joy found only during this time of year? My frustrations hit their climax on Christmas Eve. A group of us had another opportunity to attend what the Chinese feel was a Christmas celebration. Again with the inappropriate dancing; belly dancers this time. This is supposed to be a Christmas show for the family!?! I don’t know about you but nothing says Happy Birthday Jesus like boobs and butt shaking. I’d seen enough. I sat playing games on Lars’ Ipod the rest of the night.

I was resigned to utter despair. All that was left until Christmas day was a crowded bus ride home and a lumpy mattress. Nothing could save me now. That was until someone started singing…I think it started as a joke but turned into exactly what I needed.  We began with such jolly, upbeat songs as “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” and “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” but became quiet and reverent with songs of “Silent Night” and “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear”. It was AMAZING! We sang every verse and were even able to sing harmony thanks to our iPod Hymn applications:) Buddy the Elf was right when he said, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” I had found what I was looking for. It was where it always is…even in China.

We love and miss our beloved family and friends! We think about you often and wish the best for you at the beginning of this New Year.

Love,
Spring & Lars Shurilla


Burrrr!



3 comments:

  1. I love that you had your own "Elf" moment! I hope you had a great Christmas together. I love reading your updates... keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring - You are a really great writer. Have you ever thought of doing that for a living? I do really enjoy reading your blog. Great variety of stories. Beautifully told. You were both missed this Christmas. Hopefully next year. P.S. Did Kathy tell you I'm finally a grandma? Troyer James on the 5th. 9 lbs.

    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, you are so sweet:) Writing does not flow naturally from me...If you knew how long it usually takes me to polish one blog post you'd realize that I wouldn't have time for anything else. Your compliment makes it worth it though:) Thank you!

    Also, congrats! I did hear the exciting news. I can't wait to meet the little guy. Gosh, he'll be almost five months old by that time! Awwwwh:) Give him a kiss for us!

    Spring (& Lars:)

    ReplyDelete