Wednesday, June 5, 2013

It's A Baby Shower!!!


If any of you love the movie "Father of the Bride 2" like me, you'll remember when Franc exclaims, "It's a Baby Shower!" 

I tried to find a clip but could only find the one where Fanc and his assistant sing "Every party has a pooper that's why we invited you! Party Pooper!" Good movie:)

Anyway, I was just as excited to find out that the Sister Whitney, from our church, was going to throw me a Baby Shower!

(Her and Elder Whitney are the couple missionaries in charge of the Young Single Adult group here.)

Sister Whitney was able to rope in my friends, Rachel and Mairi to help:)

Now, I was kind of surprised to find that they don't do Baby Showers here!?! They find it bad luck to give gifts before the baby is born:( I think it has to do with the fact that the people who want to know the sex of their child before it is born are in the minority! Which I also find surprising. I could never NOT know before I saw the babe. 

So, forget having an actual baby registry! Plus, if we are to leave in October to fly back to America...one bag of 50 lbs. is not going to fit much:( So, all I could ask for was disposable goods: Diapers, wipes, baby soap, shampoo, etc. Not much surprise when unwrapping:P But I am SO GRATEFUL for everything!!!

I had a mini anxiety attack trying to decide when it should be. Weekday? Weekend? Day or night? I must have picked the perfect day and time because we had a fabulous turn out!





How this room contained such AWESOMENESS, I'll never know because these women are AMAZING!!!

First, we all grabbed something to munch on. Food was provided by Sister Whitney, Valerie M., Josie K. and Patsy R. Thank you! There were chips, sandwiches, cake, pastries, juice, etc. Yum!



Then they watched me open their super generous gifts:) 
(If you know me, I HATE so much attention! So this was pure torture!)
But at least I hope I wasn't too boring...With all THESE faces:

The MANY faces of Spring:)
I received so much stuff! Mostly Diapers, or Nappies as they're called here:)

That's another thing. The different baby lingo in the UK:


There were a couple things that had to be explained to me:( 
As well as all the stuff that any new mom has to know!

Afterwards we had a few games. My ONLY stipulation is that there would be NO game with candy bars melted in diapers. PERIOD! Yuck:P

So, we played a game where the attendants write down as many baby names they can think of for one of the letters in the alphabet that we would choose. 
(Lars and I were still undecided about a name:)

Then, we had them decorate cupcakes and I would choose the winning cupcake:)



What beauties<3


It was a VERY tough decision...
Hard not to get your hands messy:)

But in the end there was only one that REALLY stood out:)


The one that actually LOOKED like a baby:D Pacifier/Dummy and all! Congrats Patsy!

Then, we get to EAT the cupcakes:) And SURPRISE! Whoever gets the cupcake with the Jelly Baby inside is the next one to get pregnant!!!

Congrats, Mercy!!! Hahaha:) 

Erin and Rhona were very helpful in disposing of the extra frosting:D

YUM!

Here are a couple of extra "faces" that I forgot to add to my collage:)



A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME AND CONTRIBUTED! 

WE HAVE NOT HAD TO PURCHASE DIAPERS YET!!!
(Baby born March 22nd. Today is June 5th:)

We have REALLY been blessed with every needful thing:) 

SO GRATEFUL to be here in Glasgow, Scotland!

Thank You!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment